Perhaps it’s as a result of I’ve by no means attended the Craft Brewers Convention, however I are inclined to pay much less consideration to the World Beer Cup winners — despite the fact that they’re judged and awarded by the identical group that does the identical factor for GABF medals. Bizarre, however I do. It’s not honest however I guarantee you it’s not an anti-international-beer bias; the truth is it’s fascinating to see what breweries from locations like Japan, Argentina, Thailand and New Zealand are sending right here for judging and in lots of instances, profitable.
However unsurprisingly, it’s a principally US-based discipline of winners. So let’s tackle my earlier non-attention with a take a look at this 12 months’s victors from across the Midwest and Nice Lakes States!
A daily takeaway from GABF is that Ohio breweries are actually, actually good at profitable medals usually. This 12 months at WBC, it was Fats Head’s that was actually, actually good at profitable medals in particular. The busiest class this 12 months was the IPA class (common IPA — not hazy/juicy) and so they took the gold, so in the event you’re cruising by means of the Buckeye state and want to select up some Head Hunter go forward and seize me some too, would you?
Can somebody inform me why beers from Founders have been accepted for judging, although? Not to mention being celebrated with a win on this worldwide stage contemplating they’ve nonetheless obtained quite a bit to reply for on the racial discrimination entrance? Clearly there are not any restrictions on non-craft beers coming into the competitors, however I fail to grasp how these latest accusations in a courtroom of regulation don’t set off one thing within the BA’s Code of Conduct:
The Brewers Affiliation is a company dedicated to offering an
atmosphere freed from discrimination and from abusive, offensive, or harassing
Due to this fact, all Brewers Affiliation members should:
a. Deal with all people and teams respectfully, recognizing their human dignity,
no matter their numerous human traits: race, shade, intercourse, sexual
orientation, gender expression, age, bodily or psychological incapacity, measurement or
look, genetic pre-disposition, faith, ancestry, nationwide origin, or veteran
b. Contribute to a optimistic atmosphere that is freed from hostile and offensive
behaviors; i.e., free from harassment. Harassment means any unwelcome and
inappropriate verbal or bodily conduct, or coercive habits, the place the
habits is thought or fairly should be acknowledged as undesirable or
Founders is an Affiliate Member per the BA’s Listing, which implies that every other brewery can file a grievance about them profitable a medal regardless of not being in alignment with the code of conduct after August 6, 2020. Who needs to file that and see what occurs?
As for Illinois breweries, we didn’t do badly this 12 months both, and I discover it fascinating that 4 of the 7 medals went to lager-style beers this 12 months — okay, 3.5 in the event you think about altbier as straddling the road between ale/lager as Kolsch does. Both method, no less than that’s kinda cool.
Illinois: 7 Medals
- Gold: “Little Wing” Worldwide Pilsner, Horse Thief Hole Brewing Co.; “Bruski” American-Type Amber Lager, Midday Whistle Brewing
- Silver: “Nostril Over Tail” German-Type Bock/Maibock, Pollyanna Brewing Co.; “Simple Hour” Altbier, Roaring Desk Brewing Co.; “Bufflehead Brown Ale” American-Type Brown Ale, Kishwaukee Brewing Co.
- Bronze: “Beer for the Soul” American Belgo-Type Ale, Sketchbook Brewing Co.; “Bear’s Alternative” Robust Purple Ale, Tighthead Brewing Co.
Indiana: 3 Medals
- Silver: “Kill the Lights” British-Type Imperial Stout, The Faucet Brewery
- Bronze: “Soul Shakedown Social gathering” Experimental Wooden-Aged Beer, Solar King Brewery; “Golden Women” Fruited Wooden/Barrel-Aged Bitter Beer, Solar King Brewery
Michigan: 3 Medals
- Gold: “Nectar Of The Gods” Belgian-Type Tripel, Redwood Brewing Co.,
- Silver: “Soiled Bastard” Outdated Ale/Robust Ale, Founders Brewing Co.
- Bronze: “Imperial Peanuts & Crackerjack” Discipline Beer, The Mitten Brewing Co.,
Minnesota: 3 Medals
- Gold: “Equanimity” Irish-Type Purple, Ursa Minor Brewing
- Silver: “Helles,” Utepils Brewing,
- Bronze: “Deck Jockey” American-Type Bitter, Bauhaus Brew Labs
Missouri: 1 Medal
- Bronze: “Bobber Lager” Dortmunder/Export or Oktoberfest, Logboat Brewing Co.
Ohio: 10 Medals
- Gold: “Dawn” Espresso Beer, Wolf’s Ridge Brewing – Manufacturing Operations; “Cheetah” American-Type Cream Ale, Rhinegeist Brewery; “Voss” German-Type Kolsch, Sonder Brewing; “AlpenGlow” South German Type Weizenbock, Fats Head’s Brewery; “Bone Head” Robust Purple Ale, Fats Head’s Brewery; “Head Hunter” American-Type IPA, Fats Head’s Brewery & Saloon
- Silver: “Smashing Honey Blonde” Honey Beer, Hoppin’ Frog Brewery; “Black Cats” English-Type Brown, Streetside Brewery
- Bronze: “Hop Stalker” Experimental Beer, Fats Head’s Brewery & Saloon; “Greater Goal” Candy Stout/Cream Stout, Third Eye Brewing Co.
Wisconsin: 3 Medals
- Gold: “Pumpernickel Porter” Herb and Spice Beer, Classic Brewing Co.; “Classic 2022” Belgian-Type Bitter, New Glarus Brewing Co.
- Bronze: “Ripped Denims and Wolf Shirts” Gluten-Free Beer, ALT Brew
Extra From Guys Ingesting Beer
30 Breweries. 18 Holes of Golf. One Superior “Chicago Brews Again” Occasion.
August 1, 2023
2023 World Beer Cup Midwestern Winners
Might 16, 2023
Sunsets & Sap Beers: A Journey to Emancipation Brewing Firm
Might 10, 2023
Bell’s Hazy Hearted IPA: I Like It, However…
April 24, 2023