Apple Turnovers – handheld puff pastry pies baked with a cinnamon apple filling. Simple to make, the one query is: to fill with cream or not? There’s a case for each!!
When you have golden flaky puff pastry and it’s full of heat cinnamon apple cubes in a syrupy caramel sauce, you possibly can’t actually go fallacious whichever path you go down for serving. However – choices are a superb factor – as a result of wouldn’t life be boring if all of us favored the identical factor? 🙂
So, immediately, you have got a alternative of Apple Turnovers two methods – traditional plain or cream crammed!
Basic, plain – Served heat, contemporary out the oven. Dusted with just a little ice sugar to make it fairly with cream for dunking. The latter just isn’t one thing you see in extraordinary apple turnover recipes. In my world, I say it’s strongly, strongly really helpful! Serving with out is form of like consuming Apple Crumble with out ice cream. You get it. 😇
Cream crammed! Ah, the traditional Aussie Apple Turnover. Now, right here’s the factor! It’s chilly – you possibly can’t serve it heat else the cream melts. So that you do lose out a bit on flavour – as a result of heat filling tastes higher than chilly. However, you possibly can’t beat the sentiment and whole impracticality of biting into a large cream crammed apple turnover! Yeah, it’s messy. And we find it irresistible.
WHICH ONE I PREFER – Whereas I’ve a giant tender spot for cream crammed turnovers, nowadays I are likely to serve heat turnovers with cream for dunking. Simpler and sooner, plus the turnovers are additional good when heat!
Elements in apple turnovers
Right here’s what it’s good to make apple turnovers.
Apple turnover cinnamon filling
Apples – Granny Smith apples are my favorite apple possibility. Good stability of tartness with candy, and so they maintain their form. Most crimson apple varieties will break down extra so you find yourself with a compote inside (which makes base soggy), and are sweeter. Additionally, not really helpful to make this with out pre-cooking apples, see publish for more information.
Cornflour / cornstarch – This thickens the apple juices to make a syrup so it doesn’t soak the bottom of the puff pastry. No person likes a turnover with a soggy base!
Sugar – I take advantage of white sugar as a result of I wish to preserve the syrup clearer. However brown sugar additionally works wonderful, and makes a barely extra caramely tasting syrup.
Cinnamon – For flavour! Cinnamon plus apple is like basil and tomato, bread and butter, cheese and crackers. 🙂
Vanilla – Additionally for flavour.
Pinch of salt – This simply brings out the flavours of the whole lot else. It doesn’t make it salty in any respect. Customary apply in candy baking. 🙂
Butter puff pastry is tastier than oil primarily based puff pastry. It’s just a little costlier as a result of butter is costlier than oil, but it surely actually is tastier.
Dimension – Right here in Australia, the commonest approach puff pastry is offered is in 25cm/10″ sq. sheets, frozen. There are some extra premium manufacturers offered in bigger sheets that I take advantage of for particular dishes like Beef Wellington. However for on a regular basis functions, I take advantage of the sq. ones that are helpful for apple turnover as a result of every sheet makes 4 properly sized turnovers. 🙂
Egg – That is for sealing the turnovers and brushing the floor so it comes out of the oven pretty and golden.
I’ve issues to say in regards to the cream choices for Apple Turnovers. Learn on!
For the cream – you’ll want both:
Tender whipped cream for dunking the plain turnovers (as talked about above, optionally available however strongly, strongly really helpful!). You need to use tender whipped cream so it’s dunkable; or
Stabilised whipped cream OR stiff whipped cream for the cream crammed turnovers. You know the way mild and ethereal common whipped cream is? Nicely, should you use that in apple turnovers, the cream will actually simply squirt out fully with the primary chunk.
So I like to recommend utilizing stabilised whipped cream as a result of it tastes like common whipped cream but it surely’s stabilised so it doesn’t squirt out in every single place with the primary chunk. Plus the cream crammed turnovers will final within the fridge for twenty-four – 36 hours with out the cream melting and deflating. It’s very easy to make – simply cream and mascarpone whipped collectively. Get the recipe right here!
Nevertheless, extraordinary whipped cream tastes completely wonderful too. Simply beat it so it’s stiff and pip-able. It’s going to squirt out with the primary chunk. However that’s okay! Simply mop it up!
make apple turnovers
Some recipes will skip cooking the apple filling on the range. Tempting, I do know. However it does make the bottom extra soggy as a result of the apple leeches extra juices. Additionally, the apple items prepare dinner inconsistently. It truly is value cooking the filling first!
Apple turnover filling
Cornflour / cornstarch – Put the apples in a big saucepan and toss with the cornflour / cornstarch. Tip: massive saucepan is healthier as a result of the apple juices evaporate sooner so that you get a thicker caramel coating on the apples. Small saucepan = extra watery sauce.
Combine – Add the sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt then combine to coat.
Cook dinner for five minutes on medium (or medium excessive on weaker stoves) till the apples are softened however nonetheless holding their form. The sauce ought to thicken right into a syrup.
Cool – Unfold the filling onto a plate and let it cool fully. Don’t use a bowl, it makes the apples sweat extra and thins the sauce.
Making the apple turnovers
TIP: Use puff pastry when it’s barely thawed. A lot simpler to deal with! Overly tender puff pastry will get floppy and sticky, and is a complete ache to deal with. In case your puff pastry softens an excessive amount of, simply stick it again within the freezer for a bit.
Reduce the hardly thawed puff pastry into 4 equal items (12.5cm / 5″ squares).
Egg – Brush two sides of the pastry with the whisked egg.
Filling – Place 2 tablespoons of filling on the egg brushed aspect. Keep away from the apple sauce, it’s going to make the bottom too soggy and if it leaks onto the sting the place you brushed the egg, it’s going to forestall it from sealing correctly.
Fold the puff pastry over to cowl the filling.
5. Seal the sides utilizing a fork dipped in flour (prevents it from sticking to the puff pastry). By urgent down firmly and crimping the sting, it seals it effectively.
6. Refrigerate – As you full every turnover, place them on a reducing board lined with paper. Then refrigerate for 20 minutes – this makes the turnovers puff up higher. (PS Don’t chill the turnovers on a baking tray, it’s going to compromise how effectively the bottom cooks as a result of the chilly tray takes time to warmth up).
7. Egg wash and prick – Slide the sheet of paper with the turnovers on them onto a big baking tray. Brush with whisked egg (makes them good and golden), then prick the floor 3 occasions with a small knife. Steam escape holes – reduces danger of the filling leaking out of the seams.
8. Bake for 25 minutes at 200°C/400°F (180°C fan-forced), or till the turnovers are golden. They usually’re achieved! So now, consuming choices: plain, or cream crammed!
serve plain apple turnovers (the simple possibility for impatient individuals 🙋🏻♀️)
If you’re not making cream crammed apple turnovers, they are surely finest served heat. I personally wish to mud with icing sugar / powdered sugar to make them look fairly. And I actually wish to serve with cream for dunking! Heat apple turnovers with flippantly sweetened whipped cream is a match made in heaven.
Making cream crammed apple turnovers
To make cream crammed apple turnovers, as soon as the turnovers are cool sufficient to deal with, use a small knife to chop the seams. Open it up and put aside till the within is absolutely cool – else the cream will soften.
When able to assemble, whip the stabilised cream (learn above for why I like to recommend that) or make common whipped cream however beat till stiff so it’s pip-able. Then pipe it inside!
So, there you go! I didn’t count on to put in writing a lot in regards to the humble apple turnover. I truly determined to publish this recipe immediately considering it’s a pleasant straightforward one.
Then in fact, I’m going and make issues extra sophisticated by providing the recipe two alternative ways. Which sounds easy sufficient, then I get to the tip of the publish and am relatively alarmed at how a lot I’ve written.
However – it’s a extremely easy recipe, I swear! 😂 Hope you give it a go. Let me know what you suppose should you do – and whether or not you dunk or fill with cream. – Nagi x
Watch tips on how to make it
Apple turnovers – with cream crammed possibility!
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook dinner: 30 minutes
Filling cooling: 30 minutes
Dessert, Candy Baking
Servings8 turnovers 10cm/4″
Faucet or hover to scale
Filling – Put apples in a big saucepan. Toss with cornflour. Add the whole lot else. Cook dinner on medium to medium-high warmth, stirring often, for five minutes. Apple needs to be softened however not mushy or shedding form, with some however not an excessive amount of caramel.
Cool – Unfold the filling on a big plate then let it absolutely cool. (Notice 5)
Line a big reducing board or the wrong way up tray with baking/parchment paper.
Make turnovers – Working one puff pastry sheet at a time, barely thawed, lower into 4 squares (12.5cm/5″). Brush 2 sides with egg, then pile filling on the egg brushed aspect. Keep away from utilizing sauce, soaks base and if it leaks onto edge it won’t seal. (Save leftover sauce & apple for pancakes, french toast, ice cream and so forth!)
Wrap – Fold over, seal with fork dipped in flour (prevents sticking to pastry). Switch to paper lined reducing board.
Refrigerate for 20 minutes (chilly = higher puffing).
Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F (180°C fan).
Bake 25 min – Slide the paper with the turnovers on it onto a big baking tray. (Notice 6 for why) Brush turnovers with egg. Stab 3 occasions. Bake 25 minutes or till golden.
Serve heat, dusted with icing sugar and whipped cream for dunking.
2. Butter puff pastry is tastier than oil primarily based puff pastry. Tip: Use barely thawed. A lot simpler to deal with! When it’s absolutely thawed, particularly on hotter days, they get too sticky and floppy. Nightmare to deal with!
Customary dimension of puff pastry sheets right here in Australia is 25cm/10″ squares.
3. Cream crammed apple turnovers – Greatest to make use of stabilised whipped cream which has extra construction than plain whipped cream which is so mild and ethereal, it squirts out in every single place the second you chunk into it. Additionally it’s good to eat instantly as a result of plain cream begins weeping inside quarter-hour or so. Stabilised whipped cream will maintain its form for twenty-four – 36 hours. Tremendous straightforward to make, recipe right here!
4. For a simple model of all people’s favorite cream + apple turnover possibility, simply serve with cream for dunking. You’ll solely want one batch (1 cup) of whipping cream (doubles in quantity).
5. Don’t use bowl, apple sweats and drops an excessive amount of liquid.
6. Tip – Don’t bake on the tray you set within the fridge (if that’s what you used). The tray will get too chilly and takes too lengthy to warmth up so the bottom of the turnover doesn’t prepare dinner by correctly. It’s straightforward to switch – watch the video!
7. Storage – Non cream crammed turnovers will preserve for 3 days, advocate baking to clean up. Cream crammed will final 24 – 36 hours within the fridge so long as you employ stabilised whipped cream. In the event you fill with plain whipped cream, finest to eat instantly (plain whipped cream will begin weeping inside half an hour).
Diet per turnover, excluding cream.
Energy: 336cal (17%)Carbohydrates: 45g (15%)Protein: 4g (8%)Fats: 17g (26%)Saturated Fats: 4g (25%)Polyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 9gTrans Fats: 0.003gLdl cholesterol: 20mg (7%)Sodium: 113mg (5%)Potassium: 132mg (4%)Fiber: 3g (13%)Sugar: 22g (24%)Vitamin A: 80IU (2%)Vitamin C: 4mg (5%)Calcium: 15mg (2%)Iron: 1mg (6%)
I’ve a factor for baking with apples…
Lifetime of Dozer
I shouldn’t do that – do you keep in mind what occurred the final time I teased him with dessert I’ve no intention of sharing with him? See beneath.
Yep, Dozer had the final snigger!