Effectively I’ve lastly carried out it. I’ve lastly turned my Captain Jack Sparrow Cupcakes into essentially the most epic Chocolate Caramel Rum Cake and sure, it’s nearly as good because it appears to be like. There’s simply one thing so horny about chocolate, caramel, rum, and a pinch of cinnamon.
One chunk of this and also you’ll hear trumpets sounding and angels singing. It’s a good cake and y’all know I’m a significant cake snob. Questioning what that little one thing additional is? A pinch of cinnamon within the caramel rum sauce, which makes the rum style even fancier.
You would possibly acknowledge this frosting/caramel rum sauce from my well-known Bananas Foster Cake. It’s completely divine paired with my favourite darkish chocolate cake!
I used the final of my beloved Captain Morgan 1671 for this recipe and it was value it. (If the parents at CM by probability learn this, PLEASE deliver again 1671!) You’ll need one thing with a bit spice and ideally vanilla notes.
Chocolate Caramel Rum Cake
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup darkish cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup 1% milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Caramel-rum sauce, recipe follows
Caramel-rum frosting, recipe follows
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9″ cake pans and coat with cocoa powder. Make the caramel-rum sauce and permit to chill whilst you bake the cake.
- Mix sugar, flour, darkish cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in massive mixing bowl. Add eggs one by one and blend till integrated. Add milk, oil and vanilla all of sudden and beat on medium velocity of mixer about two minutes. Stir within the boiling water. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake 28 to 33 minutes or till picket choose inserted in heart comes out clear. Cool 10 minutes; take away from pans to wire racks. Cool fully.
- Frost with caramel-rum frosting and drizzle with caramel-rum sauce.
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1/2 cup good high quality golden or spiced rum
- Soften 1 stick of butter in a sauce pan over medium warmth.
- Add darkish brown sugar and heavy cream. Cook dinner till sugar has dissolved.
- Take away pan from warmth and add 1/2 cup of fine darkish rum. Now will not be the time to make use of low-cost rum as a result of the flavour is necessary to the standard of the cake. I used Captain Morgan.
- Fastidiously put the pan again on the warmth. The rum will ignite. If it doesn’t, you may gentle it manually with a lighter. The flame ought to burn out in a minute or two. Proceed cooking for one or two extra minutes after the flame has died all the way down to thicken the sauce.
- Pour right into a heat-proof bowl and permit to chill.
Observe: you can also make a half batch of the sauce. You don’t want this a lot sauce for the cake. Nevertheless, it’s completely superb on ice cream so I like to have a bit leftover!
1/4 cup caramel-rum sauce, cooled
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 Tbsp milk
- Cream collectively powdered sugar and softened butter with an electrical mixer.
- Slowly incorporate vanilla, rum-caramel sauce, and milk. Beat till clean.
- Add extra milk or powdered sugar if wanted for desired consistency.