This soup is everybody’s favourite soup. I can’t serve it to anybody with out being begged for the recipe. It is your favourite Olive Backyard Copycat recipe for Zuppa Toscana! This can be a barely smaller batch, made in a small dutch oven to make 3-4 bowls of soup.
I am considering of fixing my weblog identify to ‘Notes from a Recovering Vegetarian.’ I really feel like I’ve missed out on a lot by avoiding meat for nearly a decade.
In the present day, although I do eat a small quantity of meat once in a while, I hardly mix a couple of meat in a recipe. It feels bizarre sufficient consuming one animal, however two? (Aside from this Beef Bourguignon the place the bacon coats the meat! Oh, and this Coq au Vin, too). Perhaps I’ve a factor for bacon?
However, my mother-in-law insisted that the copycat Olive Backyard recipes for Zuppa Toscana soup on Pinterest have been wonderful. So, I attempted a couple of. I can not deny that I moaned upon first chew!
What’s Zuppa Toscana?
What’s to not love? It is a creamy potato soup bolstered by sausage. Do not forget the kale, as a result of if one thing has kale, it is wholesome and justifies the bacon, proper?
I did not assume I used to be going to stir within the crisp bacon on the finish, however I am so glad I did!
Olive Backyard Potato Soup Substances
- Bacon. Two slices of thick-cut bacon, chopped. I desire a thick-slice black pepper crusted bacon.
- Onion. One small onion, finely diced is about 1 cup.
- Purple Pepper Flakes. It’s fully non-obligatory so as to add a pinch of crimson pepper flakes and produce some warmth to this Zuppa Toscana.
- Sausage. We’d like half a pound of bulk Italian sausage. This may be from 2 hyperlinks with the casing take away or from the majority part. It’s your selection to make use of common Italian or spicy Italian sausage.
- Hen Broth. Simply two cups of hen broth or hen inventory to make the bottom of the soup.
- Potatoes. One massive Russet potato, scrubbed clear and sliced in half to slice into half-moon shapes (see picture). You may go away the pores and skin on the potato or take away it, your selection.
- Kale. One cup of tightly packed recent kale, stems eliminated.
- Heavy Cream. You should use half a cup of heavy cream OR half and half for this recipe–both are scrumptious.
- Salt and Pepper.
Sausage Soup Olive Backyard Recipe Ideas and Variations
I’ve heard from some mates on instagram that the soup remains to be good with out bacon. I’ve additionally heard that the Dealer Joe’s tofu sausage works properly right here. Somebody even informed me that coconut cream is sweet as an alternative of standard cream of half and half right here. This soup offers you so many choices!
This soup ought to actually be in your arsenal as a result of it incorporates so few components, and is really easy to drag collectively.
I really like that it makes simply two large bowls of soup, as a result of leftover soup for days is considered one of my pet peeves. Regardless that I do love leftover soup for breakfast (I do know, I am bizarre), there are occasions once I don’t desire a lot of leftovers.
I made this in a small 2-quart Le Creuset Dutch Oven, however an everyday saucepan would work, since it isn’t an enormous batch of soup.
If I have not given you sufficient causes, let me reiterate: potatoes, bacon, kale, and sausage. Multi function bowl, obtained it?
Tips on how to make Zuppa Toscana
In a 2-quart Dutch oven or sauce pan, add the chopped bacon. Flip the warmth to medium, and cook dinner the bacon whereas often stirring till it begins to crisp up across the edges. Take away the bacon from the pan, leaving the drippings behind.
Subsequent, add the sausage, diced onion and crimson pepper flakes to the pan, and cook dinner whereas breaking apart the sausage with a wood spoon.
As soon as the sausage is starting to brown across the edges and is usually finished, add the hen broth, salt and potato slices. Cowl the pan and produce it to a mild simmer to cook dinner the potatoes, for about 8-10 minutes.
As soon as the potatoes are tender, add the kale and canopy the pan once more for 3 minutes to cook dinner the kale.
Flip off the warmth and stir within the heavy cream. Style the soup, and add freshly floor black pepper to style and extra salt, if wanted.
Ladle into bowls, high with the chopped bacon, and serve instantly.
What to serve with Olive Backyard Sausage Soup with Potatoes
Storing Leftover Zuppa Toscana
Can Zuppa Toscana Olive Backyard Soup be frozen?
Sure, this hearty soup freezes very properly! To freeze, ladle into freezer-safe containers. Cowl and freeze for as much as 3 months. To defrost, place in fridge in a single day. Then, dump the container right into a saucepan and warmth over medium warmth till steaming.
Greatest method to reheat leftover Zuppa Toscana
The easiest way to reheat soup is on the range. Place it in a small saucepan, flip the warmth to medium and stir incessantly till steaming sizzling.
Cook dinner Time
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- pinch of crimson pepper flakes
- 2 Italian sausage hyperlinks, faraway from casing (or ½ pound bulk Italian sausage)
- 2 cups hen broth
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus extra to style
- 1 massive Russet potato, reduce in half after which sliced into ¼” half-moon shapes (see picture for reference)
- 1 cup (packed) chopped kale
- ½ cup heavy cream (or half & half)
- freshly floor black pepper
- In a 2-quart Dutch oven or sauce pan, add the chopped bacon. Flip the warmth to medium, and cook dinner the bacon whereas often stirring till it begins to crisp up across the edges.
- Take away the bacon from the pan, leaving the drippings behind.
- Subsequent, add the sausage, diced onion and crimson pepper flakes to the pan, and cook dinner whereas breaking apart the sausage with a wood spoon.
- As soon as the sausage is starting to brown across the edges and is usually finished, add the hen broth, salt and potato slices.
- Cowl the pan and produce it to a mild simmer to cook dinner the potatoes, for about 8-10 minutes.
- As soon as the potatoes are tender, add the kale and canopy the pan once more for 3 minutes to cook dinner the kale.
- Flip off the warmth and stir within the heavy cream. Style the soup, and add freshly floor black pepper to style and extra salt.
- Ladle into two bowls, and high with the chopped bacon.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 354Whole Fats: 24gSaturated Fats: 11gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 12gLdl cholesterol: 63mgSodium: 1128mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g