Stage up grilled corn on the cob with this simple elote recipe! Smothered with mayo, chile, cheese, and lime, it is creamy, tangy, smoky, and candy.
When summer time candy corn comes hits peak season, this elote recipe goes on repeat in our home. I really like corn on the cob in all its iterations, however one thing about elote is very irresistible. This grilled Mexican road corn is creamy, tangy, candy, and smoky. Should you’ve by no means tried it—or by no means tried making it at residence—now’s the time. Let’s make it!
What Is Elote?
Additionally referred to as Mexican road corn, elote is a Mexican preparation of corn on the cob. The ears of corn are grilled, then slathered with mayo or crema, and eventually topped with lime, chile, and Mexican cheese equivalent to Cotija.
Elote Recipe Elements
Right here’s what you’ll must make this elote recipe:
- Recent candy corn, after all! Use the freshest corn on the cob yow will discover.
- Mayonnaise – It creates a creamy coating for the corn and helps the opposite fixings stick. I really like the flavour of 100% mayo on elote, however should you choose, you’ll be able to sub Mexican crema or bitter cream for some or all of it.
- Recent lime juice and zest – For brightness.
- Chili powder or ancho chile powder – It provides smoky taste and a little bit warmth.
- Cotija cheese – For salty taste and tang. If in case you have hassle discovering Cotija cheese on the grocery retailer, a little bit crumbled feta cheese will work as a substitute. It received’t style precisely the identical, however it is going to nonetheless be scrumptious!
- Recent cilantro – For a contemporary, fragrant of completion.
- And sea salt – To style! As a result of mayo and Cotija cheese are each salty already, it’s possible you’ll not want it. I like to recommend taking a chew of your elote earlier than you sprinkle on extra salt.
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Grilling the Corn
Step one on this elote recipe is grilling the corn. I share two strategies in my recipe for grilled corn on the cob—with the husks and with out.
Both will work right here. Nevertheless, having some char on the corn kernels actually enhances the smoky taste on this recipe. Should you select to grill the corn within the husks, it’s possible you’ll need to pull them again for the previous few minutes of cooking in order that some char marks type on the kernels themselves.
When you grill the corn, make a easy sauce by stirring collectively the mayo, lime juice, and lime zest.
Use a pastry brush or butter knife to slather the mayo combination throughout every ear of corn.
Sprinkle with the chili powder, Cotija, and cilantro, and season to style with salt. Serve with lime wedges on the facet. Get pleasure from!
What to Serve with Elote
Elote is a tasty snack by itself, however it’s additionally an ideal facet dish for every kind of summer time meals.
How do you wish to serve elotes? Let me know within the feedback!
Extra Favourite Corn Recipes
Should you love this elote recipe, attempt considered one of these different summer time corn recipes subsequent:
Elote (Grilled Mexican Avenue Corn) Recipe
Should you’ve by no means tried Mexican elote—or by no means tried making it at residence—you HAVE to make this recipe! Candy and smoky grilled corn is smothered with mayo, chile, lime, and cheese. You will not discover a extra scrumptious facet dish or snack.
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Grill the corn in accordance with this recipe.
In a small bowl, stir collectively the mayonnaise and lime juice and zest.
Unfold the mayo combination over the corn and sprinkle with the chili powder, Cotija, and cilantro. Season to style with salt and serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
*A mixture of ¼ cup Mexican crema or bitter cream and ¼ cup mayonnaise is a scrumptious different to all mayo.