This publish might include affiliate hyperlinks. Please see my full disclosure for particulars.
Hello Daring Bakers!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE: Malloreddus, or gnocchetti sardi, are small, ribbed shells produced from a easy, flavorful semolina dough. A hearty pasta with a satisfyingly chewy texture and the wheaty, barely nutty style of semolina, malloreddus is the proper pasta alternative for quite a lot of sauces, however particularly a thick meat ragu—the nooks and ridges of this form ensures it picks up each little bit of sauce!
This Malloreddus pasta is produced from my grasp Semolina Pasta Recipe. I can’t wait to share with you every variation of it and you’ll want to take a look at considered one of them Orecchiette Pasta Recipe!
Desk of Contents
What’s Malloreddus Pasta? (Gnocchetti Sardi)
- Malloreddus or “Gnocchetti Sardi”, is a small rolled pasta with a ridged texture. It originated in Sardinia.
- It comes from the Italian phrase malloru which implies “small calf.” Due to its ribbed, potato gnocchi-like look, it’s also known as gnocchetti sardi, little gnocchi, or Sardinian gnocchi.
- Historically malloreddus was shaped through the use of a picket software known as a ciurili to press the pasta dough towards a reed basket. The reed indentations gave the pasta its ridges (rigate).
- Typically a pinch of saffron is blended with the dough to accentuate the golden shade.
- Malloreddus is a vital a part of Sardinian tradition and it’s loved at holidays, weddings, and different particular occasions.
- Malloreddus alla Campidanese is a well known dish that includes a tomato, sausage, saffron, and sauce with fennel seeds.
Key Elements and Why
- Semolina flour is produced from onerous durum wheat, the species of wheat used to make pasta.
- This excessive gluten, excessive protein (13%) content material offers semolina flour extra sturdiness and elasticity. That helps the pasta hold its form whereas cooking and provides your pasta that fantastic al dente texture.
- It has a rough, grainy texture, and is pale yellow in shade from the carotenoids, the pure pigment present in durum wheat in addition to in carrots and candy potatoes.
The best way to Make Malloreddus Pasta (Gnocchetti Sardi)
- Make the dough from my 2-Ingredient Semolina Pasta Recipe.
- Form the malloreddus
- Divide the dough into quarters and work with one part at a time. Maintain the remainder of the dough lined so it doesn’t dry out. Roll the dough right into a rope 1/3 inch (1 cm) thick.
- Minimize the rope into 1/2-inch rectangles.
- Take every small rectangle of dough one by one, and press towards the gnocchi board. For those who discover that the dough is sticking, frivolously flour the board.
- Use the aspect of your thumb to push the dough away and onto the board, in order that the dough curls round your thumb. For those who don’t have a gnocchi board, you possibly can attempt rolling the items of dough over the again of a fork.
- As quickly as you end a chunk, place it on the semolina-dusted baking tray.
- Cook dinner and retailer the malloreddus
- To make sure the pasta retains its form whereas cooking, enable the pasta to utterly air-dry for 12-24 hours.
- When able to serve, cook dinner your pasta in giant pot of water with salt (for taste and to forestall it from sticking) for six to 10 minutes.
Can I Make Malloreddus Pasta in Advance?
After the malloreddus is totally air-dried, it may be saved at room temperature in an hermetic container for eight weeks.
The best way to Dry Contemporary Pasta Appropriately at House
- Drying pasta accurately and totally earlier than storing it away is an important step: if not achieved accurately the saved pasta will go moldy.
- As a result of will probably be held at room temperature and never within the fridge, eradicating all of the moisture is essential to making sure the protection and longevity of your pasta.
- Begin by tossing the malloreddus with a small quantity of semolina to maintain the dough from sticking.
- Subsequent, lay the pasta in a single layer on a baking sheet. You will want to let your pasta utterly air-dry.
- This could take wherever from 12-24 hours or longer, relying on the temperature and humidity of your kitchen.
- In scorching nations, this step might be sooner by placing the pasta within the solar, which is what I do.
The best way to Retailer Malloreddus Pasta
- Retailer leftover cooked malloreddus within the fridge for as much as three days. Drizzle a little bit olive oil on the pasta to maintain it from sticking.
- Or enable the dough to dry in a single layer on the baking tray for a number of hours earlier than transferring to an hermetic container to be saved at room temperature for as much as 8 weeks.
- Alternatively, freeze uncooked recent semolina pasta for as much as eight weeks.
Can I nonetheless make malloreddus pasta if I don’t have a gnocchi board?
Sure, you possibly can nonetheless make malloreddus. For those who don’t have a gnocchi board, attempt rolling the items of dough over the tines of a fork.
Can I cook dinner the pasta with out drying it first?
The drying ensures that the malloreddus will hold its form whereas cooking, and it additionally could be sticky in the event you attempt to boil it with out drying it first.
Can I exploit my meals dehydrator to dry my malloreddus?
Pasta is mostly air-dried, nevertheless, it is best to have the ability to do it in a single layer in an oven or dehydrator at 135°F for about 4 hours, checking it at two hours to check it. The timing relies on the thickness of the pasta.
How will I do know if my malloreddus is correctly cooked?
Cook dinner the pasta till plump and expanded, and the middle now not seems chalky or uncooked.
Gemma’s Professional Chef Ideas
Extra Italian-Influenced Recipes
Nail genuine Malloreddus Pasta with distinctive ridges holding hearty meat or creamy vegetable sauces, a flexible and luscious Sardinian staple.
Servings: 4 servings
Divide your Semolina Pasta Dough into quarters and work with one portion at a time, leaving the remaining lined to maintain it from drying out.
On a clear, un-floured work floor, roll the dough right into a rope about ⅓-inch (1 cm) thick. Minimize the rope into ½-inch (1½ cm) rectangles.
Place a chunk of dough on a ridged gnocchi board. With the aspect of your thumb, push the dough into the board and away from you on the identical time in order that it curls round your thumb.
Knock the formed dough off the board and proceed with the remaining items. If the dough begins to stay you should utilize a contact of flour on the board.
Switch each bit to a baking tray dusted with semolina to let dry as you proceed to form the remainder of the dough.
Permit the dough to dry in a single layer on the baking tray for a number of hours to dry earlier than cooking or transferring to an hermetic container to be saved at room temperature for as much as 8 weeks. (See my word above on ‘The best way to Dry Pasta Appropriately at House’)
When able to cook dinner, deliver a pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook dinner till tender and absolutely cooked via, about 6-10 minutes. Cook dinner time relies on thickness and form so test for doneness earlier than eradicating from the pot.