I fell laborious for this straightforward Marinated Vegetable Salad when handled to a Southern-style luncheon at a plantation alongside the Ohio River.
So refreshing and engaging, I used to be compelled to verify what precisely was within the dressing so I might make this vegetable salad recipe at house!
Why You Should Make this Summer time Vegetable Salad
- The salad dressing is tremendous easy! Solely 2 components plus water, salt and pepper.
- You may add or eradicate any greens within the recipe.
- It’s tremendous gentle, cool, and refreshing, making it good for summer season.
I’m undoubtedly not a type of cooks who’s in a position to style a dish and work out the precise components and proportions. Thank goodness I used to be touring with a girlfriend who occurs to be a caterer. After we had been chatting after lunch, I requested her concerning the dressing for this beautiful salad. She referred to it as a “moist” dressing, a time period that was new to me.
I used to be intrigued. Have you ever ever had a marinated cucumber salad? It’s that sort of dressing. Sugar, vinegar and…..water! Salt and pepper rounded it out. The occasion caterer was a doll and answered all our questions—rattling off recipes for one in every of her cookies and letting us know the place she obtained the inspiration for her banana cake. After I requested if there was something moreover these 3 components within the dressing, she confirmed that this straightforward trio was the marinade.
From April: The marinated greens are completely fantastic! Couldn’t get sufficient, me and the Household, so I made one other batch once more at this time. Very refreshing. That is the dish for Summer time! Thanks for sharing!
As I used to be engaged on this submit, I noticed one other blogger’s model of a really comparable salad, although the dressing proportions weren’t precisely the identical. She referred to as it a detox salad, and I can see why. I simply pulled up the dietary content material and a serving is simply 65 or so energy and it’s filled with nutritional vitamins and fiber.
This vegetable salad recipe is a terrific more healthy dish to have round on Thanksgiving weekend. When everyone seems to be moaning and groaning about overeating, this marinated vegetable salad could possibly be the antidote!
Ideas for Making a Marinated Vegetable Salad
- I like to ensure all greens are in good bite-sized items.
- Making the onion slices fairly skinny, then chopping them somewhat extra, ensures nobody will get a big chunk of onion. Although they do mellow out, shedding their sharpness after sitting within the marinade.
- Some dressings for comparable salads embody oil, however I don’t assume that it’s wanted in any respect.
- Different recipes use double the pepper, however I really feel that overwhelms the greens.
- I just like the ratio of two components water to 1 half vinegar, however if you happen to favor a extra pickled style you’ll be able to up the ratio to 1 to 1.
- Additionally, extra sugar could be added, however I favor only a contact of sweetness, particularly if you happen to’re utilizing it as a detox salad. You can attempt utilizing honey as an alternative of sugar, however I haven’t examined that various.
You Could Additionally Like:
When you like a salad for lunch or along with your night meal, this Good Caesar Salad is at all times successful or one in every of my favourite recipes from my sister, Arugula Salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, and avocados. This Straightforward Pasta Salad Salad Recipe is ideal for summer season entertaining. Asian Slaw is one other veggie-packed winner!
These salads have additionally caught my eye: Grilled Corn Salad, a Winter Inexperienced Salad with Poppyseed Dressing, and a Inexperienced Salad with Feta and Beets!
Plus, examine my recipe index for Extra Salad Recipes.
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (purchase tremendous candy if out there), lower in halves
- 3 bell peppers, ribs and seeds eliminated and diced into ½-inch items
- 3-4 stalks celery, sliced ¼ -inch thick
- ¼-½ cup thinly sliced purple onion, chew sized items
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise and lower into ½-inch chunks
- Whisk collectively the water, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a big bowl.
- Add the chopped greens and let marinate, coated, within the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours, however in a single day is even higher.
- Toss often to permit all of the greens to soak up the marinade.
I assumed this tasted even higher a day or two after making it!
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 79Complete Fats: 2gSaturated Fats: 0gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 5mgSodium: 556mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g