The very best strawberry shortcake recipe should begin with the proper biscuit. Tall and golden brown, flaky however cakey and extra candy than salty. My dad’s *chef’s kiss* biscuit recipe is the proper base for this basic summer season dessert!
Can I be the primary to confess that this summer season hasn’t been my absolute favourite to date? I don’t know what it’s associates, however the vibes are off. I’m additionally not solely positive what I’m wanting ahead to since my passport is being held hostage (lol the drama) by The Division of State. (It’s not being held hostage nevertheless it’s additionally NOT within the mail for me to make journey plans soooo.)
In fact there’s a lot to be pleased about like air-con, blacked out sun shades, a boyfriend with a pool, wine spritzers…. the record goes to infinity and past BuT STiLL. The vibes are off.
Now, earlier than I impulse purchase a house in Maine, I’m going to try to modify the vibes and decrease the air conditioner right here in Houston. There are cherries within the colander and heirloom tomatoes on the counter and just a little clamshell of strawberries I refuse to place within the fridge languishing on the counter. Most significantly there’s time for me to regulate my perspective and switch this summer season round.
I’ve bought The Summer season Bucket Record on deck. I’ll have a margarita this weekend. And I additionally remembered that a number of weeks in the past, my web pal Erika declared Dad’s Buttermilk Biscuits as the most effective biscuits for strawberry shortcake. I humbly agree. These biscuits are candy and durable sufficient to avoid wasting our summer season. Let’s, at the very least, give it the Arduous Attempt.
Listed here are the components you’ll have to make this strawberry shortcake recipe:
• all-purpose flour
• granulated sugar
• baking powder and baking soda
• kosher salt
• unsalted butter
• a big egg
• contemporary strawberries (raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
• balsamic vinegar, non-compulsory however so nice! lemon zest and lemon juice
• heavy cream
The very best biscuits are made out of scratch – there’s simply no means round it. however actually, with a number of butter and some folds of the dough, biscuits are fairly easy to make. Plus, when you get the cling of your biscuit, contemporary biscuits will turn out to be one in every of your tremendous powers.
Seize a big bowl and your entire dry components. I like so as to add a number of tablespoons of granulated sugar to those biscuits to amp up the dessert high quality, however you could possibly scale back the sugar when you favor a extra impartial biscuit.
Use a teaspoon so as to add baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to mix earlier than including cubes of chilly butter.
Use both a pastry cutter or your scorching little palms (typically my choice) to work the butter into the dry components. Break the butter into smaller bits, coating the flour in fats, and creating coarse crumbs. Some butter bits would be the dimension of small peas, others the scale of oat flakes – that’s proper!
In a smaller bowl, whisk collectively and egg and buttermilk. You may add a splash of vanilla extract of vanilla bean paste right here for an much more dessert-y biscuit right here, nevertheless it’s not solely obligatory.
The egg will make for a extra cakey biscuit, which I actually like for these shortcakes.
Add the moist combination all of sudden to the butter and flour combination and fold collectively utilizing a rubber spatula till you could have a shaggy dough.
As soon as gently kneaded and coaxed across the bowl, the shaggy dough will come collectively right into a cohesive dough. If the dough feels dry, don’t hesitate so as to add one other splash of buttermilk. A moist biscuit dough is significantly better than a dry crumble dough.
Flip the dough out onto a evenly floured floor, roll right into a 1-inch thick rectangle and fold that rectangle into thirds. Within the enterprise (lol, the baking enterprise) we name this an envelope fold and it’s used to actually construct flaky layers into our biscuits.
Fold the underside half of the dough up two-thirds of the dough and fold the highest third of the dough over the primary fold. Rotate the dough 90 levels and repeat your roll and fold a second time.
I prefer to wrap my rolled and folded biscuit dough within the fridge at this level to re-chill the butter. Chilly biscuit dough will make for the tallest biscuits.
Roll the dough to a 1-inch thickness and use a biscuit cutter to chop 2-2 1/2-inch rounds. When slicing the biscuit, press the biscuit cutter into the dough, and resist the urge to twist the cutter as you come up. Twisting the cutter may also twist the dough and preserve the biscuits from rising as excessive as they’ll.
You may at all times collect and reroll the scraps of biscuit dough.
Prepare the biscuits on a rimmed baking pan (lined with parchment paper) if you wish to go the additional mile.
Brush with melted butter earlier than putting within the higher third of the oven to bake.
Whereas the biscuits bake, it’s time to deal with the berries.
I prefer to slice my hulled strawberries into skinny rounds, then stir in granulated sugar, a sprinkle of salt, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. A success of vinegar provides a brightness to steadiness the sweetened fruit taste. It’s refined and beautiful.
Enable the strawberries to relaxation at room temperature for 20 minutes or so to melt the berries and develop their juices.
Take away biscuits from the baking pan and permit to chill barely on a wire rack. It’s all coming collectively!
Lastly, whip heavy cream to comfortable peaks with a little bit of powdered sugar. Alter the sweetness to your style.
I like a comfortable texture from my cream, however whip yours as a lot as you’d like.
Slice every heat biscuit in half, spoon with juicy strawberries and high with cream. There are few issues higher than this second. Retailer any leftover strawberries and remaining whipped cream within the fridge although there shouldn’t be any leftovers when you do that proper.
If there’s something that may pull me out of a summer season funk, it’s a plateful of strawberry shortcake with the assure of seconds.
Now that you’ve got strawberry on the mind, please additionally think about:
Go away any questions or feedback beneath! We love to listen to from you! xo
For the Biscuits:
For the Strawberries:
- Place a rack within the higher third of the oven and preheat oven to 400 levels F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift collectively flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Utilizing your fingers, shortly work the butter into the dry components till some bits of butter are the scale of oat flakes, some the scale of small peas. Chunks of chilly butter is what we would like in our dough.
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, mix egg and buttermilk and beat evenly with a fork. Create a nicely within the heart of the flour combination and add the egg combination all of sudden. Stir right into a shaggy combination. The dough might be moist, however not overly moist.
- Flip dough out onto a evenly floured board and use a floured rolling pin to softly roll the dough right into a right into a 1-inch thick oval. On the brief finish of the dough closest to you, fold the dough over till the sting of the dough meets the middle of the dough. Fold the highest fringe of the dough in direction of the middle over the primary fold. Gently roll the dough right into a 1-inch oval and repeat the folding course of once more.
- After the second fold, once more roll the dough out to a 1-inch thickness and use a 2-inch spherical biscuit cutter to chop biscuits. Press any dough scraps collectively to make a number of extra biscuits out of the remaining dough.
- Place 1-inch aside on the ready baking sheet and brush evenly with melted butter.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or till golden brown on high. Whereas the biscuits bake, mix the strawberry combination. In a medium bowl gently toss collectively sliced strawberries, sugar, salt and vinegar. Refrigerate for at the very least 20 minutes.
- To serve, cut up biscuits with a butter knife, spoon with strawberries and juice and high with whipped cream. Take pleasure in ’em!