My Oreo frosting takes simply 5 minutes to make! It’s excellent for piping on cupcakes or desserts and is rigorously designed to not be too candy. Solely 6 elements! Recipe features a how-to video!
Why You’ll Love This Oreo Frosting
- Easy and quick: You solely want 6 elements and 5 minutes to make it. It’s superb how fast and straightforward this frosting is!
- Pipes fantastically: It’s sturdy and holds its form like a standard buttercream, which I like. It appears so fairly on cupcakes!
- Not too candy: I exploit a sneaky secret ingredient to maintain the frosting from being overly candy–extra on this under!
- Pairs with any taste cake or cupcake: I particularly like it on my white cake, Oreo cake, or chocolate cupcakes although.
Oreo frosting is the most recent addition to my ever-growing frosting library. It’s a cookies & cream buttercream creation that works equally effectively piped on cupcakes because it does in macarons (or chocolate macarons).
What You Want
Whereas I typically have the endurance for a extra advanced frosting (separating and tempering eggs — I’m taking a look at you Swiss meringue buttercream) frostings which are straight up easy when it comes to elements and methodology will all the time have my coronary heart. At this time’s recipe checks each these bins, nothing fancy right here, only a few fundamentals:
- Oreo cookies. You want fewer than you would possibly assume (which leaves loads of extras for snacking on later — or use them for some Oreo cupcakes to place the frosting on!). 6 Oreo cookies will create the ½ cup of Oreo crumbs we’ll want. I don’t take away the cream, because it’s an integral a part of the Oreo taste. See my tip under on learn how to pulverize the cookies so you could have a superbly clean, pipe-able frosting that received’t clog your piping tip!
- Unsalted butter. Ensure your butter is softened earlier than you start. In case you solely have salted butter readily available, be at liberty to make use of that and skip the extra salt.
- Powdered sugar. If you use the complete quantity of sugar I’ve listed within the recipe, your frosting can be good and durable. In case you scale back the sugar (and also you actually can!), your frosting can be softer and fewer inclined to carry its form. When made as written its consistency is very like basic buttercream.
- Cream cheese. Simply 4 ounces of brick-style, full-fat (that is key!) cream cheese tempers the sweetness and provides a *true* cookies and cream taste to this frosting. Whereas it doesn’t make the frosting style like a straight-up cream cheese frosting, it tempers the sweetness and rounds out the flavour, all of my taste-testers most well-liked it to the opposite variations I’d examined with out cream cheese.
- Vanilla extract. I exploit a diminished quantity of vanilla extract on this recipe so the Oreo taste can shine.
SAM’S TIP: In case you plan to pipe this frosting by means of a piping tip, you really want to verify your cookies are finely pulverized. If not, you’ll have cookie crumbs clogging your piping tip, which may be extraordinarily irritating! I even wish to sift my crumbs after I pulverize mine, simply to be protected. I exploit this multitool for this step, however you possibly can additionally use a meals processor. Crushing with a rolling pin doesn’t get the items fairly nice sufficient to pipe, so when you’re utilizing a piping tip positively sift after crushing.
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the put up!
Tips on how to Make Oreo Frosting
- Cream collectively the butter and cream cheese till clean and mixed, then regularly stir within the powdered sugar.
- Add the salt and vanilla and stir to mix.
- Stir within the Oreo cookie crumbs, then use as desired. Historically this can be by swirling on a dozen cupcakes or easily spreading over a cake, however you’ll obtain completely no judgement from me when you simply take pleasure in it by the spoonful.
SAM’S TIP: I discover that it’s best to fill my piping bag (once I’m baking alone, anyway!) by putting it in a big glass or cup and folding the highest of the bag over the sting of the cup. I display this in my video under, when you’d like to observe this course of!
Continuously Requested Questions
Certain! Clearly the flavour of the frosting will change with the flavour of your cookies, however be at liberty to experiment! Mint, birthday cake, peanut butter, and even lemon Oreos could be tasty. Or you possibly can use do-it-yourself Oreos as a substitute (disclosure: I’ve not but tried this however have been eager to, let me know when you do! I might assume you possibly can use the shells with out the filling!)!
Utilizing the proper sort of cream cheese (full-fat, brick-style) and correct quantity of sugar are crucial for the best texture right here. Your Oreo frosting needs to be sturdy when you observe the recipe.
In case you did observe the recipe and your frosting continues to be runny, the cream cheese might have simply gotten too heat. Pop the bowl within the fridge for a couple of minutes to relax it a bit.
How do you propose to make use of this cookies & cream frosting in your baking? Possibly attempt it over my new chocolate zucchini cake?
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! In case you do this recipe, make sure to tag me on Instagram, and you may also discover me on YouTube and Fb
Stop your display from going darkish
Mix butter and cream cheese in a big mixing bowl and use an electrical mixer to beat till clean and creamy. Progressively add powdered sugar,stirring till fully mixed.
¾ cup (170 g) unsalted butter,4 oz (113 g) cream cheese,3 ½ cups (438 g) powdered sugar
Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
½ teaspoon vanilla extract,⅛ teaspoon salt
Add Oreo cookie crumbs and stir in till fully mixed. Use as desired.
6 (70 g) Oreo cookies
Recipe makes sufficient frosting to generously cowl 12 cupcakes or one 2-layer spherical 8” or 9” cake or one 13×9 cake.
Retailer frosting in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Let sit at room temperature till softened sufficient to stir,then stir effectively earlier than utilizing.
As soon as utilized to a cake or cupcake,frosting can sit out at room temperature for as much as a day however in any other case needs to be stored refrigerated.
Serving:1serving| Energy:299kcal| Carbohydrates:40g| Protein:1g| Fats:16g| Saturated Fats:10g| Polyunsaturated Fats:1g| Monounsaturated Fats:4g| Trans Fats:0.5g| Ldl cholesterol:40mg| Sodium:79mg| Potassium:31mg| Fiber:0.2g| Sugar:37g| Vitamin A:482IU| Calcium:14mg| Iron:1mg
Dietary info relies on third-party calculations and needs to be thought-about an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used,measuring strategies,cooking methodology,portion sizes,and extra.