This week I welcome again John Palmer to debate English and American Pale Ales and IPAs and the way water shapes the flavour of those beers.
Obtain the MP3 File– Proper Click on and Save As to obtain this mp3 file.
Subjects in This Week’s Episode (50:54)
- This week I welcome again John Palmer. John is the writer of the highest promoting guide How one can Brew in addition to Water and Brewing Basic Kinds (full disclosure: Amazon affiliate hyperlinks used for books). John joins me this week to speak about water in beer.
- We discuss a number of the new initiatives John has been engaged on the final 9 months.
- John begins with a dialogue concerning the traditional English Bitters fashion and the way it was formed by London water.
- We focus on “Burtonizing” water and the way the waters of Burton on Trent created a singular group of pale ales in England.
- John switches over to American Pale Ale and discusses how we “Americanized” the standard English fashion utilizing completely different yeast and hop varieties, in addition to adjustments in water.
- We subsequent focus on conventional English in addition to trendy American Craft IPAs and the way they’re completely different together with their water profiles.
- John talks about how water is now adjusted for American IPAs and the way it’s a completely different strategy than conventional “match a metropolis” water adjustment.
- We focus on Hazy New England IPAs and the way their water profile is definitely nearly the other of a daily Craft IPA. This water is adjusted to create a softer, rounder profile within the beer.
- John summarizes water profiles for the varied types we mentioned and talks about the place we could be going subsequent.
iTunes Bulletins: I launched a brand new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! For the time being it should solely function the brand new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes can be found on my revamped Youtube channel. Additionally all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so seize the older episodes in case you missed any.
Ideas on the Podcast?
Go away me a remark beneath or go to our dialogue discussion board to depart a remark within the podcast part there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You’ll be able to take heed to all of my podcast episodes streaming dwell across the clock on our BeerSmith Radio on-line radio station! You too can subscribe to the audio or video utilizing the iTunes hyperlinks beneath, or the feed tackle
And eventually, don’t neglect to subscribe to the weblog and my publication (or use the hyperlinks within the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on dwelling brewing.
Associated Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
Do not make one other unhealthy batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a strive – you will brew your greatest beer ever.
Obtain a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now