When issues are quiet round right here, one in all two issues are normally occurring: I’m busy with a facet undertaking or touring removed from the bodily Smitten Kitchen. Or, I’m actually obsessive about consuming one thing that I don’t anticipate to curiosity anybody however me. This month we have now two for 2. For the three weeks earlier than I used to be briefly in San Francisco and Napa final week, I used to be completely fixated on this sandwich. Fixated! I craved it on a regular basis. Typically it was breakfast; typically it was lunch. I may stroll by a bagel store wafting with heat every little thing seeds, by a cloud of bodega bacon egg and cheese sandwiches, and nonetheless beeline residence to place a chilly boiled egg on a roll with arugula. I do know I make no sense. I made a decision to maintain this weirdo factor myself however then I returned from California and sure, I had a suitcase filled with Mannequin Bakery english muffins and a stash of Dandelion Chocolate scorching chocolate combine, and I nonetheless simply wanted this. I’ve lastly accepted that the one technique to transfer on, not less than for lengthy sufficient that I may sort out the remainder of the wonderful issues I’ve on our cooking agenda for the summer time, was to exorcise it, whether or not anybody cares to hitch in my unusual little preoccupation or not.
Consider this like a deviled egg, unmixed, or deconstructed egg salad sandwich. The necessities listed here are a sliced just-about-hard-boiled egg (I cease at 9.5 minutes), a challah roll or slices (however brioche or a potato bread would work), an amazing fistful of arugula, and what I contemplate the right sandwich unfold — some mayo, sharp dijon, coarse dijon, and ready horseradish. A shot of scorching sauce just isn’t unwelcome; the combination ought to be sharp. Between the egg and the arugula, I at all times have a skinny layer of one thing and it’s totally different nearly each time, normally leftover from one other dish — caramelized onions, pickled shallots, shaved fennel I’d tossed in lemon juice and olive oil, cucumber, and right here, some thinly-sliced pickles and celery — and each single one is ideal. I can not select a favourite and I received’t ask you to. Please have enjoyable with it.
6 months in the past: Baked Brie with Garlic Butter Mushrooms
1 12 months in the past: Summer time Ricotta with Grilled Greens
2 years in the past: Excellent, Perpetually Cornbread
3 years in the past: Seashore Bean Salad
4 12 months in the past: Raspberry Crumble Tart Bars
5 years in the past: Ice Cream Cake Roll
6 years in the past: Strawberry Graham Icebox Cake and Broccoli Rubble Farro Salad
7 years in the past: Almond-Rhubarb Picnic Bars
8 years in the past: Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake, Faux Shack Burger, and Swirled Berry Yogurt Popsicles
9 years in the past: Carrot Salad with Tahini and Crispy Chickpeas
10 years in the past: Greek Salad with Lemon and Oregano and Two Traditional Sangrias
11 years in the past: Vidalia Onion Soup with Wild Rice and Tzatziki Potato Salad
12 years in the past: Traditional Cobb Salad, Lime Yogurt Cake with Blackberry Sauce and Blue Cheese Scallion Drop Biscuits
13 years in the past: Asparagus, Lemon and Goat Cheese Pasta and Raspberry Buttermilk Cake
14 years in the past: Martha’s Mac-and-Cheese, Crisp Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies
15 years in the past: Cherry Cornmeal Upside-Down Cake
16 years in the past: Selfmade Oreos and Cellophane Noodle and Roast Pork Salad
Sliced Egg Sandwich
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon clean dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 teaspoons ready horseradish
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 gentle challah, brioche, or potato rolls, cut up, or slices from a loaf
- Butter, for toasting
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chilly, peeled, and sliced
- Thinly sliced pickles, celery, pickled onions [more suggestions in Notes]
- 2 cups recent arugula, roughly torn
Toast your bread: Whilst you can toast it in a toaster, my favourite technique to toast my sandwich rolls is to warmth a pat of butter in a nonstick pan over medium warmth. Place your rolls, cut-side down, within the pan. Prepare dinner till reduce sides are golden-brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Switch to plate to chill barely earlier than assembling sandwiches.
Assemble: Generously coat each reduce sides of first roll with sandwich unfold. Organize egg slices over the underside half and season evenly with salt and pepper. Add pickles or any of the opposite alternates urged beneath, a giant handful of torn arugula, then press the highest of the roll down, smooshing every little thing into place. Repeat with remaining sandwich.
Eat instantly and repeat each day for so long as the fixation lasts. Personally, I’m strolling into the kitchen to make one other as quickly as I hit publish.
- Eggs: Right here’s my go-to methodology for hard-boiled eggs. For a sliced sandwich, I cease cooking them at 9 minutes 30 to 40 seconds, to maintain the facilities a darkish, by no means dry, yellow. I really like a stable egg slicer; I’ve had mine for over a decade.
- Unfold: Only for reference, I’m utilizing Hellman’s mayo, Amora dijon mustard, Maille wholegrain mustard, and I make my very own ready horseradish over Passover and use it for months after. My present jar of Amora is jarringly sharp (nearly like wasabi) and I adore it however only a heads-up that you simply may want to regulate your ingredient ranges or seasoning to get the punchiness I promised with different manufacturers.
- Rolls: Any storebought roll will work however, however I made rolls not too long ago from my challah recipe, turning one of many two challahs it yields into 12 rolls. They bake in quarter-hour.
- Extra substances: As talked about above, I have a tendency so as to add to the sandwich a skinny layer of no matter I’ve left within the fridge, from pickled to caramelized onions, thinly-sliced cucumber, celery, or fennel. Not one has tasted dangerous.