Nice for cookouts or sport day, this tofu sandwich is loaded up with the works—BBQ tofu, vegan mayo, slaw, avocado, and pickles. Cross the napkins!
This tofu sandwich recipe doesn’t skimp on taste. Smoky BBQ tofu performs off a tangy, nutty cabbage salad, which in flip contrasts with bitter dill pickles, creamy avocado, and a comfortable, candy bun. With regards to plant-based cookout or sport day recipes, it’s a troublesome one to beat. This tofu sandwich is daring, hearty, and severely saucy. I realized the arduous means: don’t try to eat it and not using a stack of napkins close by.
Tofu Sandwich Recipe Components
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this tofu sandwich recipe:
- Tofu, in fact! 1 (14-ounce) package deal extra-firm tofu, to be precise. Notice that you simply want extra-firm tofu right here. Any softer sort shall be too delicate for this sandwich!
- BBQ sauce – I really like the flavour of my do-it-yourself BBQ sauce on this tofu sandwich. It’s tangy, savory, and simply flippantly candy. Made with primary substances like ketchup, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and soy sauce or tamari, it’s simple to make on the range. For even simpler prep, you should use your favourite model of store-bought BBQ sauce.
- Cabbage salad – This easy slaw has an addictive peanut dressing. It’s a refreshing, sudden addition to this tofu sandwich!
- Mayonnaise – Use vegan mayo for a plant-based model of this recipe.
- Avocado – It provides creamy richness to the sandwich.
- Dill pickles – For bitter, savory crunch. Love spicy meals? Swap in pickled jalapeño peppers for warmth!
- Hamburger buns – Brioche ones are incredible right here, or use vegan or gluten-free buns.
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Swap the slaw! Substitute the cabbage salad with
All 4 choices are scrumptious! Select the traditional coleslaw or vegan coleslaw for a creamy slaw expertise, the vinegar coleslaw if you would like it actually tangy, or the cabbage salad for a recent, nutty kick.
How you can Make a Tofu Sandwich
There are three principal elements to this tofu sandwich recipe: making the BBQ tofu, prepping the slaw, and assembling the sandwiches.
Begin by making the BBQ tofu.
- First, press the tofu. This simple, hands-off step will give it an irresistible agency and chewy texture—don’t skip it! Press the surplus water out of the tofu with a tofu press, or use a DIY setup with a reducing board and a cast-iron pan. For step-by-step directions, take a look at my information to easy methods to press tofu. And when you’re available in the market for a tofu press (extremely really helpful!), learn my opinions of the finest tofu presses.
- Subsequent, prepare dinner the tofu. Minimize it into slabs, and brush them with BBQ sauce. Grill or bake the tofu slices in accordance with my BBQ tofu recipe. Brush them with extra sauce after they arrive off the grill or out of the oven!
In the meantime, make the slaw.
- Chop the veggies, combine up the dressing, and toss all of it collectively in a big bowl. Set the salad apart to marinate whilst you end cooking the tofu.
Lastly, assemble the sandwiches!
- Load up buns with the tofu and slaw, pickles, avocado, and mayo. Take pleasure in!
Extra Vegan Sandwiches and Veggie Burgers
If you happen to love this tofu sandwich, attempt one in every of these vegan sandwiches or veggie burgers subsequent:
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Put together the BBQ tofu in accordance with this recipe. After cooking, brush with extra BBQ sauce.
Assemble sandwiches on the buns with mayo, the BBQ tofu, cabbage salad, avocado, and pickles.