This week I welcome Larry Horwitz, the pinnacle brewer from Crooked Hammock to debate Wit Beer and Gentle Lager brewing.
Obtain the MP3 File– Proper Click on and Save As to obtain this mp3 file.
Subjects in This Week’s Episode (52:17)
- This week I welcome Larry Horwitz. Larry is the pinnacle brewer at Crooked Hammock Brewery. Larry has served as a board member for the Brewer’s Affiliation and President of the MBAA for 2 districts. He chairs the Draft Beer High quality Subcommittee for the BA, and is a decide for each GABF and the World Beer cup.
- Larry begins with a short dialogue of his background in brewing which spans some 30+ years.
- We begin with a dialogue on Wit beer and what makes the Wit model distinctive from different Belgian and Continental beers.
- Larry explains the usage of unmalted wheat and oats and the way the add physique and character to the model.
- We talk about yeast, and his choice for a extra phenolic wit yeast and taste in his Broad Eyed Wit beer.
- Larry finishes the Wit dialogue by explaining his preferences for hops and spices.
- We swap over to the Gentle Lager model and Larry explains how a lightweight lager is completely different than a typical Pilsner.
- He explains how he retains the calorie depend low and the attenuation excessive when brewing a lightweight lager.
- We speak about his most well-liked Weinstephan yeast and the way fermentation is totally vital for this model.
- Larry spends a couple of minutes telling us about Crooked Hammer’s places and some of the opposite beers he brews.
iTunes Bulletins: I launched a brand new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! For the time being it can solely characteristic the brand new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes can be found on my revamped Youtube channel. Additionally all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so seize the older episodes in case you missed any.
Ideas on the Podcast?
Go away me a remark under or go to our dialogue discussion board to go away a remark within the podcast part there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You’ll be able to hearken to all of my podcast episodes streaming reside across the clock on our BeerSmith Radio on-line radio station! You can even subscribe to the audio or video utilizing the iTunes hyperlinks under, or the feed deal with
And at last, don’t overlook to subscribe to the weblog and my publication (or use the hyperlinks within the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on dwelling brewing.
Associated Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
Do not make one other unhealthy batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a strive – you may brew your finest beer ever.
Obtain a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now